We love coffee. We love each other. We love to travel. We love learning. When these powers combine we are…(drum roll, please)…COFFEE IN ACTION!! Trumpets blare, the clouds part and angels sing a heavenly choir.
No, no…it is nothing that dramatic. Quite simply: we are two friends on a road trip to learn about coffee, community, and sustainability in the coffee industry.
Starting mid-February, we will be traveling around the US to experience small coffee businesses that are involved in their local community while also contributing to the improvement of the global coffee industry. We are especially interested in environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
If you know about good coffee shops, important organizations to visit, or people wanting one-day volunteers, please let us know.
Thanks for reading (and wish us luck on our first ever blog!)
Sara and Melanie
Good People, Good Coffee
To explore the ideas and practices of community, sustainability, and social responsibility within the specialty coffee industry
· to experience communities around the country that are taking part in local action to create global change
· to learn about and raise awareness of the:
· relationship between coffee farms and coffee consumers
· social and environmental impact of the coffee industry
· positive impact that specialty coffee businesses can have
· provide publicity for specialty coffee businesses that have this positive impact
· to build a network of small, community-focused specialty coffee businesses
· Travel the country on a road trip to engage with coffee businesses and professionals.
· Highlight businesses that:
· create and maintain vibrant local communities
· employ environmentally sustainable methods
· operate with an awareness of the global social impact of the coffee industry
· Document the trip and what we learn on a public blog
The specialty coffee industry is a powerful avenue for creating awareness about, and making positive changes on a wide array of issues; human, environmental, and economic. Our public blog will provide an educational and experiential forum to connect progressive specialty coffee businesses and forward-thinking coffee consumers.